The Very Rev. Dr. Joseph J. Allen is Professor of Pastoral Theology and Ministry, and President of AHOS. Raised in Allentown PA, Fr. Joseph taught Pastoral Theology at St. Vladimir’s Seminary and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology for 16 years, during which time he also wrote and edited 13 books and numerous articles, many of which have been translated into Arabic, Greek, Romanian, French and Italian. And he has been the Co-Editor of the magazines The Word and Upbeat. Fr. Joseph is also the Pastor of St. Anthony Orthodox Church in Bergenfield NJ (since 1967), has served as Vicar General of the Archdiocese for 10 years, and the National Chaplain of the Order of St. Ignatius of Antioch for 25 years. He is Director of Theological and Pastoral Education for the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America, and has also directed the Clergy Biennial Symposium of the Antiochian Archdiocese since the first gathering in Chicago (40 years ago, 20 Symposia).
- General Theological Seminary, Th.D.
- Union Theological Seminary, S.T.M.
- St. Vladimir’s Seminary, M.Div.
- Kutztown University, PA, Bacherlor’s Degree
Previous & Present Positions
- Director of Theological & Pastoral Education, Antiochian Archdiocese (since 1973)
- Director of AHOS (since 1992) • Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (since 1992)
- National Chaplain of the Order of St Ignatius of Antioch (1983–2008)
- Vicar General, Antiochian Archdiocese (1983–1992)
- St. Vladimir’s Seminary (1978–1992)
- Holy Cross, Brooklyn MA (1977–1983)
Fields of Expertise
- Pastoral Theology
- Priestly Ministry
- Spiritual Direction
- Thanatology: Ministry to the Dying & Grieving
- “St. John Chrysostom’s ‘Letters to the Cathechumens and Neophytes’” (1978)
- Inner Way Toward a Rebirth of Eastern Christian Spiritual Direction (2005)
- Vested in Grace: Marriage and Priesthood in the Christian East (2001)
- The Ministry of the Church: The Image of Pastoral Care (1986)
- Orthodox Synthesis: The Unity of Theological Thought (Editor, 1981)
- “The Orthodox Pastor and the Dying” (Saint Vladimir's Theological Quarterly, Vol. 27, No. 1, 1979)
- The Word Magazine, Co-Editor (1976–1981)